Free School Meals
FREE SCHOOL MEALS (FSM) AND PUPIL PREMIUM (PP)
What is Pupil Premium?
Pupil Premium is additional funding given to schools to help raise the attainment of pupils. It is paid to
schools according to the number of pupils who have been: Registered as eligible for free school meals at
any point in the last 6 years. In the financial year 1st April 2020 to 31st March 2021, pupil premium funding
· £1,345 for each eligible primary aged pupil
· £955 for each eligible secondary aged pupil and
· £2,345 for those in care
How is Pupil Premium used?
The funding can be used for a range of interventions including: help with costs of school trips, music
fees, teaching assistant staff, after school programmes, equipment. To find out more about how this
funding is used at your child’s school, please contact the school or visit the school website.
Who is eligible for Free School Meals and Pupil Premium?
All children who are at school; and were under 19 at the start of the academic year; and are claiming
or have parents who are claiming:
· Income support; or
· Income Based Job Seekers Allowance; or
· Income Related Employment and Support Allowance or
· Child Tax Credit, as long as you do not get Working Tax Credit and whose annual income (as
assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) does not exceed £16,190; or
· Support under part VI of the Immigration & asylum Act 1999; or
· Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
· Universal Credit (with an annual take home pay of no more than £7,400, as assessed by
earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
· Families in receipt of Working Tax Credit are not eligible for Free School Meals and Pupil
· Those entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their
employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, are entitled to
Free School Meals.
· The Pupil Premium will only be awarded to your school if you apply for Free School Meals,
however, please note your child is not required to have the Free School Meals if they prefer not
· Children at a maintained Nursery must be attending both the morning and afternoon session on
the same day to qualify. For more information on which Nurseries are maintained please contact
the Education Welfare Benefits service.
When do I apply?
Please apply as soon as you become eligible under the above criteria. We will write to you to
confirm entitlement has started and will continue to check your entitlement via our secure electronic