School Games Mark: Gold Award
We are delighted to announce that we have achieved the School Games Gold Mark Award again!
The School Games Mark is a Government-led award scheme launched in 2012, facilitated by the Youth Sport Trust, to reward schools for their commitment to the development of competition across their school and into the community, and we are delighted to have been recognised again for our success in this area. www.yourschoolgames.com
As a school, we work hard to promote all of the six values of school sport: determination, honesty, passion, respect, teamwork and self-belief.
Physical Education within our school enables children to:
- Develop confidence, enjoyment, creativity, skills an awareness of the need for a healthy, active lifestyle;
- Have opportunities for participation, enjoyment and success irrespective of age, race or gender;
- Develop fundamental movement skills, physical confidence and competence;
- Develop evaluation skills, tactics and compositional ideas;
- Develop communication and collaboration skills showing qualities of commitment, fairness and enthusiasm;
- Have regard for instructions, rules, safe practice and for safety at all times;
- Explore the role of competitive opportunities; and
- Develop positive attitudes to physical education.
Such recognition has been highlighted with our school receiving the ‘School Games Mark’ Gold accolade.
The main aspects of Gold criteria:
Provide all children with 2 hours of PE;
Engage at least 50% in extracurricular activities;
Participate in at least 6 inter (external) competitions with a B and C team;
Promote School Games once a fortnight;
Engage 10% of pupils in leading and managing events;
Utilise sports coaches to support school sport;
Have active links with other clubs;
Have targeted provision for those least active;
Give every child the opportunity to learn and lead;
Completed an Activity Heatmap www.activeschoolplanner.org; and
Train and engage wider school staff in the delivery of school sport and PE.